This week I took a risk that surprised me and shocked my
friends. I picked up some hitchhikers at a service station. Now, I’ve watched enough
films to know that either the driver or the hitch hiker comes to a sticky end. And if it was my daughter or my niece and
nephew picking them up I’d have gone mad.
The hitch hikers were students on a charity challenge to see how far
away from their university they could get in 36 hours and of course they weren't allowed any money. I decided on the spur
of the moment to take them with me for three reasons:
- They were going out the service station door at the same time as me
- The destination on their board was close to where I was going
- If it had been my daughter or my niece and nephew on that challenge I’d have wanted them to be picked up by someone friendly and nonthreatening.
We got chatting and it occurred to me how useful the trip
was for their working lives. They needed
to be willing to take a risk – who knows where they’d end up?
They were resourceful. They had no money so had to persuade
people to give them lifts, food, drink and shelter. They had an idea where they were heading
which they had broken down into more achievable milestones. Persistence had
paid off – when I met them they had been stuck for four hours which is quite a
large proportion of the total time available.
Life can be like that too – often we don’t know where we’re
going but start off by heading in the right general direction. We need to take calculated
risks, be resourceful, resilient and persistent.
I don’t know where they got to, but I hope they were
successful in their bid to cross the channel. Whatever happened, the charity
they were raising money for would have got a boost.
www.stepoffyourstilettos.co.uk
www.stepoffyourstilettos.co.uk
No comments:
Post a Comment